Back

Museum History



The building was completed in 1939 as a museum.  It was
during the Great Depression and was built as a WPA project during the presidency of Franklin D. Roosevelt.  Long before this time a local man, Harry Dankoler, began collecting things that were old, realizing the importance of saving the parts of history so that others might always be able to appreciate it.

At the same time, another Door County resident, Hjalmar Holand, also with a great interest in history, was busy preserving the written memories of the County.  With the backing of the newly formed Door County Historical Society, they worked to provide the basis for this museum.  Early photos show it as it was - the typical museum of its time with shelves and shelves of old things being preserved, but not necessarily interpreted as is done today.